Kioni had her first Scottish highland dance class today, she loves it so much that she told me afterward, "Mommy, today is the best day of my LIFE! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"She decided that she will forgo ballet and do highland dancing. Thankfully, the instructor said she can wear all her ballet gear until she grows out of them, no need to rush and buy the highland dancing shoes (ghillies), which are black, versus the pink ballet shoes. There are many moves that are similar to ballet, like pointing toes. All her classmates have navy blue leotards and leggings, she was the only one wearing pink! I taught her to say, "I am new" in case someone asked her why she was wearing pink, two girls asked.
There were about 10 kids, with an instructor and two assistants. I love the teacher to student ratio, much better than what she had when she learned ballet for two months in Hong Kong.
The instructor said she is VERY enthusiastic about dancing, which is a wonderful sign. Kioni showed us a few dance moves and asked if she can come back tomorrow. Too bad they only have classes once a week.
It costs 2.5 pounds ($3.5 USD, $27HKD) per class, which comes to $10 pounds ($14USD, $109HKD) per month, which is VERY economical, that's is about the only thing we can afford for her here. But even if that means I have to fast one meal a day to afford it, I will.
Scottish highland dance shoes - ghillies
2 comments:
This highland dance is a real good substitute for ballet.
Download this 16-min free short film from iTunes Store:
Cutlass directed by Kate Hudson. Great music, especially the one during the ending titles.
Post a Comment