Thursday, January 11, 2007

My heart hurts






We just came back from the Asia ReachGlobal (EFCA-IM) conference in Thailand. Kioni, for the first time, went to Sunday School (Vacation Bible School) without having us making her. In fact, she loved it there and asked to go every morning. She has found a special friend, an 11 year old girl Shaina. She is not one of the missionary kids, rather one of the team members from Bethel Church, Fargo, ND. The big team came to participate in the conference in various areas, the childrens' program is one of them.

The night before we all had to go home, I told Kioni that Teacher Shaina (that's what she is called) and all the other girls will have to go home. She dropped her head and then asked, "Why?" This was the first time I saw her feeling this hurt in her heart. Shaina also explained to her that they had to go home, but it didn't matter, it still hurt.

The first night after we came home, it was late at night, she went to bed without incident. The next morning, she woke up singing one of the songs she learned from VBS, complete with hand motions. Then she asked me to to take her to Sunday School. I showed her photos of the great time she had in Thailand. When she saw the photos of Shaina, Miss P, Miss Thompson, Miss Carla, Bethany and Gracie, she asked to see them. I explained that they are now very far away from us, all spread out in cities all over the world. She then asked if she can go to Fargo.

Last night before she went to bed, she said to me, "My heart hurts." "Why?" I asked. She said, "I want to see the girls and the teachers." What can a mother do to ease a two year old's pain? Don't know, other than praying with her and showing her the photos of the people whom she have grown closed to.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kioni,
I am sorry to hear that your heart hurts. As happy as I am to be home with my crazy kids, my heart aches for Thialand and all the wonderful kids I met. Would your heart feel better if I sent you all the VBS music? As soon as I get all unpacked I promise to send you and your family music and pictures. I will pray for your heart, please pray for mine. My heart is torn in two different directions!

Take care precious one, God loves you very, very, very much!

Love you,
Mrs. P

Teacher Carla said...

Hi Amy,
Thanks for writing about Kioni. We will certainly pray for her to better understand this change in her life. We will also pray that she will be able to give this hurt in her heart to Jesus for him to take care of for her. I would share with her 1 Peter 5:7 and Philippians 4:6-7. These are verses about how Jesus cares for us, and how his peace is available to us when we give our cares to him.
I had tears in my eyes reading about how to ease her pain, as I know what it's like to feel the pain in my own child's heart. But Jesus is faithful ... for us as parents, and for our children.

Dear Kioni,
I'm sorry to hear you are so sad because you miss your VBS friends and teachers. But I'm happy that you had so much fun with them.
I'm happy to hear that Mrs. P. will help you get the music from VBS. I, too, thought it would be good for you to get the music.
Teacher Shaina and I will pray for you that you will be able to let Jesus hold the hurt in your heart for you, and that you will feel his peace in your heart instead. He is so good to take care of us in this way. Shaina and I practice this often, and he is always faithful to help us!
Always remembering you,
Teacher Carla